Eleven is looking for a new Head of Editing who shares our love of excellent writing and is ready to commit to a long-term partnership with a fast-growing, premium content writing company.
We require an experienced professional editor and team leader to oversee our team of qualified editors. This involves ensuring editors meet our standards and those of our clients; helping editors to master their craft by offering high-value, constructive feedback; hiring and training new editors; supporting our writer recruitment team; and working with other senior team members to improve Eleven’s editorial processes and policies.
Candidates should have a strong understanding of online content (5+ years in digital publishing, marketing, or related position). We mainly produce content for company blogs and e-commerce and affiliate-marketing websites (e.g. product reviews, comparisons, buying guides). A list of example articles is available here.
Eleven Writing is “the topic-expert writing company”, meaning our writers hold substantial experience and expertise in the topics to which they’re assigned. Our focus is on delivering a bespoke, quality-drive service to our clients. Since opening our doors in early 2019, we’ve had the pleasure of working with some of the world’s largest and most prestigious digital publications, such as Marie Claire, TechRadar, Tom’s Guide, and Architectural Digest. You can read more about Eleven Writing on our website.
With the right candidate, we are happy to work on an employment or freelance/contract basis. In either case, you will need to be available most weekdays, and for a minimum of 20 hours per week, although you are largely free to determine your own day-to-day schedule. (For example, you could do three hours each Monday and Tuesday, four hours Wednesday and Friday, and 6 hours on Thursday. The next week needn’t look the same.)
Advantages of working with Eleven
- Work with a first-class team of skilled, professional editors, experienced account managers, and talented writers in a supportive, friendly environment.
- The Head of Editing role is a high-impact position; you will have the opportunity to discuss and contribute to company-wide policies and practices and take part in regular senior-level meetings.
- Collaborate with some of the world’s largest online brands, including IOHK (Cardano), Marie Claire, Wallpaper*, TechRadar, and Freetrade, with readerships in the millions per month, as well as start-ups and SMBs.
- Enjoy a streamlined working platform with automated invoices and payments.
“My favourite things about Eleven are the strong team atmosphere and commitment to individual professional growth. I love collaborating closely with other team members to produce high-quality content for our clients." - Eloise McInerney, Managing Editor
Responsibilities and duties
Oversee our team of professional in-house editors
- Meet regularly with Editors, Senior Editors, and Managing Editors (in both group and one-on-one settings).
- Regularly evaluate the performance of all editing roles and provide valuable and insightful feedback to help editors master their craft.
- Support editors in their day-to-day jobs by answering questions, streamlining workflows, developing ongoing training materials, etc.
- Assess candidates for new Editor roles (applications, demos, trials, etc.) and oversee the hiring, onboarding and training of new Editors.
- Support our team of Senior Editors in evaluating new writer candidates and providing critical feedback to new writers.
- Assist with the promotion, onboarding and training of new Senior and Managing Editors.
- Support our team of Managing Editors in hiring and verifying new writers.
- Work with other senior team members to proactively streamline and improve the recruitment, hiring and onboarding processes — an essential part of our business.
Contribute to Eleven's editorial development
- Attend and contribute to regular meetings with the rest of the Senior Management team.
- Demonstrate initiative in creating and improving editorial workflows, processes, and policies.
Required skills, experience and qualifications
- Native-level English
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- Proofreading, copy-editing, or other editing qualifications
- Outstanding editing skills and a desire to continuously improve your craft
- At least five years’ overall editing experience, and at least two years’ editing experience in online content
- SEO writing knowledge and/or experience
- Familiarity with a range of online article formats and styles, such as blogs posts, software/product reviews, feature articles, technical guides, and how-to articles
- At least two years’ experience managing and growing a team of editors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to provide valuable, constructive feedback
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- High attention to detail
- Willingness to respond positively to constructive feedback
- Strong work ethic and a positive, professional attitude
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable using collaboration software (e.g., Google Workspace; Slack)
- Able to commit at least 20 hours per week
Desired skills, experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree/equivalent or higher
- 8+ years of experience in the editing profession
- 4+ years of experience managing a team of editors
- Rates starting at £32/hr, with higher rates available based on experience.
- Payments are made on a monthly basis.