We want to form ongoing partnerships with excellent editors who have a sharp eye for detail, a sound knowledge of online content writing, and the ability to give high-quality, constructive feedback to writers. If this is you, read on to learn more.
Remote editors are responsible for editing the work of Eleven writers and ensuring that articles conform to client expectations and guidelines. This includes making direct edits and providing constructive feedback to writers via written or verbal communication, as appropriate. A successful remote editor has excellent attention to detail, highly developed writing & communication skills, and the ability to work independently or as part of a team. We primarily produce content in tech, business, finance, and marketing. Most of our articles are software/product reviews, comparisons, buying guides (e.g., Best Web Hosting Providers 2022). We also do quite a few how-to and explainer features, among other types. A list of example articles is available here.
Advantages of working with Eleven
- Opportunity to collaborate with some of the world’s biggest online brands, including TechRadar, Tom’s Guide, BestMoney, Top10.com, Cardano, with readerships in the millions per month.
- Edit content for cutting-edge start-ups and SMBs.
- Work with top-class, native English writers who are experts in their field.
- Access to a streamlined working platform with automated invoices and payments.
- Ability to self-assign articles.
- Expectations provided in advance, usually with a template or comprehensive brief + detailed style guides.
- Ongoing Slack support to resolve queries regarding topics, article specifics, briefs and guidelines, etc.
- Possibilities to progress within the company over time.
“Working for Eleven has allowed me to do what I love – writing – in an incredibly relaxed and down-to-earth environment. The team is smart and friendly, and I love having a constant stream of interesting articles. I've also begun to improve my prose since working with Eleven, as the feedback is detailed and highly professional.” - Toby Douglas-Bate, Eleven writer
Responsibilities and duties
- Edit articles for the following types of issues:
- User intent: Content is relevant and to the point; answers the user’s question
- Clarity, Cohesion & Coherence: Information is presented clearly, logically, with sufficient level of detail
- Technical: Grammar, punctuation, typos, spelling, capitalisation, etc.
- Readability & Style: Concision, momentum, and flow.
- Stylesheet & Template: All guidelines in the stylesheet and template have been correctly applied.
- Provide constructive feedback to writers via in-text comments, Slack message, or video call, as appropriate, and in line with Eleven best practices.
- Provide feedback on writer performance in the Writers Feedback Hub.
- Consistently meet deadlines and minimum weekly output for articles and revisions
- Conduct calls with writers when necessary, for instance, if it would be easier or better to discuss certain issues in this way.
- Answer Slack messages from writers and project managers etc.
- Watch relevant Slack channels for notifications and updates.
Required skills, experience and qualifications
- Native-level English
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, or editing qualifications & 3+ years’ editing experience
- 1+ years of editing experience in online publishing
- Outstanding editing skills and a desire to continuously improve your craft
- Ability to closely follow & apply style guidelines and client briefings
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- SEO writing knowledge and/or experience
- Familiarity with a range of online article formats and styles, such as blogs posts, software/product reviews, feature articles, technical guides, and how-to articles
- Versatility in adapting tone and style in line with target audience
- Ability to provide constructive feedback to writers to help them improve their work and meet client expectations
- High attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to show initiative and be proactive in seeking solutions
- Willingness to respond positively to constructive feedback
- Strong work ethic and a professional attitude
- Resourcefulness and proactivity in seeking solutions
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable using collaboration software (i.e., Google Workspace; Slack)
Desired skills, experience and qualifications
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience or higher
- Proofreading, copy-editing, or other editing qualifications
- Knowledge of tech, finance or business & marketing industries
- Minimum rate of £25/hr (approx. $33/hr)
- Payments are made on a monthly basis.
- We prefer only to work with editors who can commit a minimum of 10 hours per week.
Eleven is built on quality and equality, compensating team members based on performance rather than age or geography.
Eleven strives to be the world’s first and best solution for top-tier content written by dependable subject-matter experts.